THE FIRST PERSON TO VISIT MARS IS IN SCHOOL TODAY. WILL IT BE YOU?
Generation Beyond is a first of its kind, national educational program designed to inspire the next generation of innovators, explorers, inventors and pioneers to pursue STEM careers.
- Explore the surface of Mars in virtual reality with the Mars Walk app
- Watch student-created videos of space travel habitats
- Download fun lessons for parents and in-depth STEM curriculum for educators
- Zoom across our solar system and see the spacecraft and missions Lockheed Martin supports
- Play interactive learning games about deep space missions
TAKE A RIDE ON THE MARS BUS EXPERIENCE
The first immersive virtual reality vehicle that replicates 200 square miles of Martian landscape, our Mars Experience Bus uses video game technology to take guests on a virtual journey across the surface of Mars, complete with rovers already on the Red Planet and a mock-up of what the first Mars base camp could look like.
The bus will be added to the myriad experiences and activities that focus on the future of space exploration and Mars missions that make up the Summer of Mars at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.
EXPLORE MARS - DOWNLOAD THE MARS WALK VR APP
The first people who will visit Mars are sitting in a school today. To help inspire these students, Lockheed Martin created Mars Walk: a virtual reality adventure you can experience using your own smartphone. Mars Walk provides a fun, interactive, and educational tour of the red planet in a stunning VR experience.
Explore Mars – on your phone. Download today.
A cardboard VR device is required. A non-VR version is also available.
WATCH THE VIDEO CHALLENGE
We challenged middle school students (Individual and Teams up to 4) to present their Mars Mission habitation module through a one- to two-minute video, which included a visual representation of the habitation module. The submissions blew us away and earned incredible prizes—including $10,000 for Grand Prize winners!
TEAM GRAND PRIZE WINNER
TEAM EON FROM EDISON, NJ: UJWAL L., SIDDHANT V., PRAMODH M., AARAV Z.
Team E.O.N.'s submission was awarded the Team Grand Prize at a ceremony on June 6, 2017. Their winning video is above.
Lockheed Martin Chairman, President and CEO Marillyn Hewson addresses John Adams Middle School students at the Team Grand Prize Award Ceremony for the 2016 Generation Beyond Video Challenge.
INDIVIDUAL GRAND PRIZE WINNER - DANE S., FULLERTON, CA
Dane's submission was awarded the Individual Grand Prize at a ceremony on May 23, 2017.
Think you can top their innovative ideas? The 2017 Video Challenge will open in August.
FOR EDUCATORS: USE OUR SPACE EXPLORATION CURRICULUM
We partnered with Discovery Education to develop lesson plans, activities, and other resources for classroom and at-home learning:
- Explore the importance of weather and its impact on the go/no-go decision of the launch of a manned Orion mission.
- Solve real-world problems and encourage a deeper understanding of how space flight leads to innovation here on Earth.
- Extend classroom learning with activities designed for the family to complete together.
With your help, we can prepare and inspire this generation to reach new heights.
- From Middle School To Mars: Students Win National Competition To Design Spacecraft To Take Astronauts To The Red Planet
- New Poll: With First Mars Mission Approaching, Few Teachers Believe Students Interested In Subjects That Would Lead Them To Space Exploration Careers
- Ready for Blast-Off: Lockheed Martin Launches Educational Program to Prepare America’s Students for Deep Space Exploration
- World's First Crew To Mars Is Likely In Middle School Right Now